Thursday, August 21, 2008

New type of portraits!

I was recently asked to photograph a family reunion, which is not something I have ever done before. I went in to it thinking that it would just be a very large portrait session, however I came away with so much more!

I went out to Amish country, to a cabin where the Oberlander family was staying for the weekend. I had been given a shot list to follow and took a fantastic assistant with me in order to organize the large group. I had been allotted two hours for photos and wanted to make sure that I got everything that everyone wanted.

Since the entire family didn't all live in the same town, I knew that it would be a challenge for them to view all of the photos if I left as soon as the shoot was completed. So I did something that I have never done before. I took the photos, then while the family had their big family dinner, I stayed at their cabin and edited all of the photos, so when the dinner was over they could view and order their prints right then!

It was genius! Not only did they get the satisfaction of seeing the proofs the same day, but they got to order everything that they wanted, so I could mail them out to them! It was also good for me because the post-process was finished the same day, which rarely happens!

It was quick and effective...I think this is something that I'm going to have to do again...or at least advertise that I do!! So if anyone is going on a lavish family vacation, say to Turks and Cacaos, and they would like a photographer to do portraits on the beach during their trip...just let me know!!! Ha ha ha!!

Here are a few of the photos from the Oberlander reunion, so tell me what you think!!

Great-grandchildren, youngest was 2 1/2 weeks old!




They were a goofy group!! It made it a lot more fun!




One of the individual family portraits.





The whole group!!

1 comment:

Todd Tedder said...

Amazing! Your B&W conversions are just stellar. I would be very happy if those were my family portraits!